1.24.2006

Eat This

Yesterday was Tolby's six month check-up. We discovered she only gained about one pound and one inch, putting her in the 10th percentile for weight and the 65th for length (down from her four month stats of weight: 50th and length: 90th). She also got four immunizations. One could almost feel bad for her, all emaciation and needle sites. But she's tough, and the baby Tylenol made her even cockier. It was all in a days' work for my little crack whore midget.

But, seriously. I could let her descent through the percentiles worry me if I was the type to stress out over things like that. As it is, I've decided that as long as she's happy and healthy, I must be doing something right. I still worry in the back of my mind about wine and coffee stunting her growth and impeding the fusion of critical neurons, but then I regain my regular consciousness, which is ruled by the phrase everything in moderation. And by everything I mean even the bad, bad ingestibles that pregnant and lactating women are warned to avoid like the plague (or at least an e coli outbreak) such as gouda, olive loaf, mahi-mahi, or steak tartare. Putting things off-limits just makes them even more desirable.

This, I tell you: one could live to 35 or 102, and the fact would remain that life is too damn short to worry about every little thing.

4 Comments:

Anonymous dad said...

Yeah, you really shouldn't have served steak tartare for dinner every night. Even I got food poisoning. Actually, on second thought, maybe that was just your regular cooking!

5:37 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

dude. that percentile shit makes me batty. archer was "dying" compared to the percentiles his first few months. he was literally in the 5% for everything and now he is in the 100th+ percentile for height and everything else is above 50. It's all a buncha plthhhhh, as far as I'm concerned.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

If wine and coffee affect a child's growth then mine have mutated into little giants because of my tainted breastmilk! Ya know, all that chart stuff is just to keep the doctors and nurses busy, I think. If your daughter is healthy (and you as Mom know better than anyone)then she's just fine. Kids grow in spurts, and no doubt she'll hit a huge one before too long.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

Seriously, the percentiles are total BS. I think some crazy dr was wasted and just decided to put numbers on a sheet.

I go to one store and people are all telling me she's so TALL, then another one, and they tell me she's tiny... WTF?

Oh, and that doesn't mean I'm not obsessed with them - one time the damn tech entered the dots wrong and it showed that her head circ. shrank. I was freaking out til the dr. calmed me down.

I'm visiting through GGC - I'm really enjoying your stuff!

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home