1.20.2006

Food For Thought

Tolby turns 6 months tomorrow, which means two things of note:

1) Time goes by too freakin' fast

and

2) I really need to start feeding her solids.

The fact that I haven't started her on the latter (#2) is that I am so freaked out by the former (#1) that I want her to remain infantile as long as possible. Not carnival-sideshow long, but I want to buy myself as much time as I can get away with without displeasing the medical community or the grandparents. Ever since she was born, the comedy/action/adventure/drama of our lives has been on fast forward, leaving me with no time to sit back and relish the show. Yet I know how important it is to do just that. Somehow, holding off on the rice cereal and the pureed turkey dinner makes me feel like I can get away with freeze-framing the simplicity of her newborn-ness just a little longer. Even though her attention span is not as wide as one breast and half the time she'd rather stare at the white ceiling than eat, I hug her close to my chest and rub her silky hand, knowing she won't always be that soft and she won't long be so huggable.

Before Tolby, there was a time when I'd think things were moving too slowly and the tick-tock of the clock was interminable. Even while I was in labor with her, it was that sluggish fetal heartbeat that caused my midwife so much concern. I remember the impatience of my previous life and, though I don't miss it, it left me ill-prepared for the dazzling speeds of my new world, where there's no going back and there's no slowing down.

2 Comments:

Anonymous dad said...

Not only that, but solids make for stinky dookies. I'm not interested in changing that. The longer she breastfeeds, the less stench I have to deal with.

7:56 PM  
Blogger The Happy Housewife said...

Everyone is too quick to move childhood on apace. Mothers compete about how quickly their children went on to solids - Tolby will let you know when she needs more than Mama's milk - don't listen to the critics - you and her will find your own pace... Good luck!

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home