1.04.2006

The Nature of Nurturing Sleep

Tolby Evelyn has, for once in her life, actually bought her own ticket to the Land of Naptime Nod. This means I have to write something now, and I have to write it fast. Working under this kind of pressure, the only topic I can come up with is Schedule? She Don't Need No Freaking Schedule!

The girl, generally, will not nap. For a five month old, she's awfully caught up in other people's business. How old will she be before she realizes she's not missing much? They say that youth is wasted on the young, and that's most certainly true, but a lot of good sleep is frittered out the nursery window as well.

I know that her lack of a schedule is directly related to the fact that I don't have one myself. My life as a stay-at-home mom is all willy-nilly, with me taking full advantage of not having something like a real job to superimpose structure on my existence. I go here, I do that, I throw in some laundry and I drive around aimlessly for awhile. I've never been so happy in all my years, but the trade-off is a cranky baby (with eyes so wide-open they scare the crap out of me when I'm caught off guard) at 6 p.m. when I need to get dinner made.

Maybe 5 months old is too young for a schedule anyway. Perhaps today's bionic babies don't even need sleep. Nine months of pre-natal vitamins and some Baby Einstein CDs should do just fine to stimulate brain development and encourage motor skills, both fine and gross.

I like to think it's the nighttime sleep that's really important, and at least there, Tolby has the zzzz's on lockdown. I may have imparted a complete disregard for daytime scheduling into her nascent noggin, but I have given her nothing but appreciation for a good night's sleep.

Ah, there she goes again. I must say, her timing isn't bad. I was just about finished with this entry anyway. Who knows when I'll have time for lunch, but at least I got some writing in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Midori said...

I just happened across your blog. Sounds like we have alot in common! My son is 8 months old and a serial non^napper as well!! :-)The only reason i have managed to write this comment is that he is currently mid- poo so isn`t moving! ;-)

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home