1.06.2006

One-Nine-Oh-Six

Howard is coming all over America. This Monday, the REAL radio revolution will shine down on us like the rays of a liberating satellite sun. Howard Stern takes to Sirius for his first show at 6 a.m., and my tired ass will be there. There's nothing like freedom feeding into an unassuming digital display, heralding a new era for free thinkers and free talkers everywhere.

I love voices in the air, from Howard Stern to the newly syndicated Jay Severin to NPR programming to Democracy Now. It's unique approaches to entertaining and educating (not necessarily in that order) that hook me--not wanna-be ideology.

I'm a mom now and I know that one day soon I am going to have to exercise that special mommy superpower touted by many free speech advocates in the face of corporate (and, dare I say it, government) censorship of entertainers like Stern: changing the channel when things get too inappropriate. Go, Go Gadget Pointer Finger! With nerves of steel and a brain like a sponge, I will call on all my available resources to do what I feel is right for my family, as only I can. If I don't like it, I'll change it. If I decide it will make me look bad if my daughter starts stripping down to her diaper and asking if she looks good enough for Playboy at her weekly playgroup, I'll change it. I can do it. I pay taxes for things like highway maintence and homeland defense, but when it comes to my listening pleasure, I prefer that federally funded civil servants keep their legislation away from my boom box.

A change is gonna come.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jene said...

I hear ya!

Although how can you love Howard Stern but hate Family Guy?

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Splash said...

Wow, I actually agree with Binky on something, this truly is a new year.

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home