2.28.2006

By the Light of the Moon

The other night, when Tolby woke at 3 am--as has been her dentally-induced habit as of late--we let her do a thorough cleansing of the tear ducts instead of going in right away to soothe her. Being that her tear ducts have a pretty vigorous maintenance plan as it is, such action was probably not necessary, but there you have it. At least my husband and I got an extra fifteen minutes of laying in bed, dreaming about dreaming. When I finally went in to get her, she had worked her sinuses (sinii?) into such a tizzy that she could no longer breathe properly through her nose. The result was a gaping look of befuddlement as she pulled in great gasps of air through swollen gums. How could you do this to me, mother? There was no anger, no sadness--only circular astonishment. Mouth open, eyebrows raised, her face was a round, red question mark. I held her to my chest for awhile and stared. Her expression was borne of mucus and my own analysis, but it seemed so real. She seemed so real. Then I lifted her onto my shoulder and hip-swayed her into submission with a efficiency no overpriced glider could mimic.

Waking up at 3 am is worth it if it means I can be there to see her turn into a little person.

4 Comments:

Anonymous rhonda said...

Sometimes in the middle of the night, when all is quiet, are the sweetest times between you and your baby. I kinda miss those moments!

6:02 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Just tonight I mentioned the dreaded F word to Nate - you know, Ferber. I think I'm going to use the "clearing the tear ducts rationale." Good one Bink!

12:43 AM  
Blogger Daddy D said...

Though I get 'tired' of late late night awakenings, and they don't happen often....I must admit, they are very personal, very intimate, and afterwards I just feel better about our relationship and know that we're going to be just fine.

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- www.daddydetective.com

10:57 AM  
Blogger Veronica Mitchell said...

What a beautiful post. There is nothing like the power to soothe our babies.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home