2.22.2006

Good Will Hunting

So, here's a question for ya'll: do you have a will? I don't. I can rationalize this by stating that wills are a money-related business, and most things fiscal fall to my husband (not all, but most). My husband--the man who thinks he is immortal. So immortal, in fact, that most of his bi-weekly paychecks go into our retirement plan. We live on mac 'n cheese and Two Buck Chuck now so that, one day, he can be old and crotchety in a garage as big as our current house, restoring vintage Porsches. His certainly has a keen sense of foresight; it just doesn't extend to the Pearly Gates.

For that reason, my husband's mother is now on a quest to instill some semblance of maturity into the father of her one and only beloved grandchild. For as long as I've known her, she has left cut-out newspaper articles on the nightstand next to the bed we sleep in when we visit. Sometimes the Dear Abby excerpt is a bit on the cryptic side, and we wonder why she figures the sterling chain of our lives is lacking this particular pearl of wisdom. Other times, like this past weekend, it is abundantly clear. Sitting under the pale glow of the bedside lamp was a six part series titled Why Dying Without a Will is a Bad Idea.

Each state has an intestacy statute (that's latin for should've written a will, dumbass) which dictates who gets a person's property if s/he dies without a will. In the case of married people with children, the decedent's property is split between the surviving spouse and the children (when they reach the age of majority). In the case of a married couple without children, however, things get dicey. As in, many states will force the surviving spouse to share the estate of his dearly departed with the in-laws. So, if your relationship with your beloved's parents is such that the four of you can't even agree on what kind of pizza to order when you begrudgingly stop by on a Saturday evening, you might want to consider drafting that will.

Of course, there are many more issues that make dying intestate a bad, bad idea, whether you are single, married, civilly unionized, childless, childful and/or in possession of a hamster.

So I emailed my husband.

What are we going to do about this? I asked.

Not die? That's my plan. I don't know about you.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mom101 said...

Yikes, that reminds me. This unmarried couple with a child needs a will. And I have no excuse because I'm the fiscally responsible one. When I met Nate he literally had his life savings under the mattress. Oh, and he was 26.

3:34 PM  
Blogger J's Mommy said...

Funny - my mother just asked me yesterday if I have a will. I don't but I guess I better get on it.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Daddy D said...

Seriously, my mother just brought this up to me 2 days ago....wow....it must be a sign...cuz i don't have one.....

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- www.daddydetective.com

8:58 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Nope. No will here either. Not dying is a good plan. Reminds me of Team America where the puppet chick says, "I will have sex with you if you promise that you will NEVER DIE."

"I promise." He says and then they pee on eachother (in the unrated version.) Hee hee.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

In my previous life I worked in title insurance and had to read through people's wills sometimes. So, my husband and I did one when we found out that I was pregnant.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jene said...

i operate under the possiblity that i could die at any time, so i spend all my money right away. :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

That conversation comes up at least every week. But have we gotten around to actually having a will made? Noooo. Because, apparently, some lawyer is going to know that there's a couple with a new baby in need of a will and that lawyer will feel compelled to cold call us. Maybe one already has. I blame the fact that we don't have a will on the "Do Not Call" list!

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home