3.28.2006

Call Forwarding

There is a sadness inherent in stopped blogs. I discovered this yesterday when it dawned on me that one of my favorite sites had quietly, and with perfect timing, slipped back into the cyber abyss. "I know it's late, but I needed to tell you one last thing." I read the words on Friday and didn't think much of them, till Monday came and the usual prolific postings had dwindled to nothing. And I was like damn, he's good.

The blog was layered. There was meaning on levels as deep as you wanted to go. All the classic elements of a good story were put to use in this new form. Irony. Allusion. Foreshadowing. And, of course, lots of links. It was real. You could try to label it, but whatever term you came up with would only be one small aspect of its essence. A blog about marriage. Infidelity. Parenting. Tennis.

Like the Tour de Lance, kudos to TPR for going out even stronger than it came in.

As a damn good blogger once said, "i spent an inordinate amount of time writing and editing each day and perhaps that time will be better spent on just shutting the fuck up for a while and living."

Which is most definitely sad, and probably true.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jene said...

I almost wrote a sentence that began, "If you spent nearly as much time and effort on your writing in college as you do on this blog..." but then I decided that it would be in my best interest to end it there. :)

3:48 PM  
Blogger Larry3000 said...

very, very sweet of you, thx.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I know, I feel a great loss when I go to my computer to check TPR and remember the phone has been disconnected. I mean, as the queen of a fucked up marriage/divorce I feel that larry3000 said what I was feeling.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home