3.16.2006

Dinner in Deutschland














This is me on my honeymoon in Germany, more than a year and a half ago. Yes, those are fajitas and, yes, that's a margarita. There's only so much schnitzel and pilsner a girl can take. But, weiners? Those are another story. Anyway, I am posting this today in hopes that someone might be proficient enough in German to be able to tell me what the bib says. It came with the dinner and I donned it happily enough, but the paranoid part of me wants to know exactly what kind of message I was espousing as I munched on that Rhinelandic homage to Tex-Mex. If you speak the language, or know anyone who does, help a schwester out and post a translation forthwith.

[Note: In case you can't read it,
the words read something like this:
Latzchen (?) sind nett
und schutzen vor Fett!
Allerdings nur die
Kleider.
Leider!] Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Anonymous Margaret said...

It means:

A bib is nice
and protects against fat stains
but only the clothes
unfortunately

5:19 PM  
Blogger Binky said...

Thank you! Thank you!

Sincerely,
The Fat Stain

5:30 PM  
Blogger Spencer said...

Durn, I was hoping to be the first to translate. In fact, it specifically says "Fat" (="Fett") so the bibs protect against fat, but only (protect) your clothes. I.e. stains. Not the waistline.

I tried to come up with a rhyming version, so see what you think of this:

A bib is "all that,"
And protects against fat.
But only your garment.
Darn it!

(I was working on a version with "clothing" and "self-loathing" but that got too deep. I think this one keeps to the spirit of the original!)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Binky said...

Spencer, maybe you can start a side job translating wacky German sentiments into English. You have a gift for it! I still have the bib, so I'll have to print out your translation and put them together in the honeymoon scrapbook that I will someday make. Love it!

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home