3.23.2006

Gathering Dust

I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. For the same reason, I cannot simultaneously raise an infant, freelance, blog and keep a clean house. I'm a womanly failure. It is said that multi-tasking comes more easily to those in possession of double Xs, which makes me wonder if I don't have a little too much testosterone coursing through my veins. The predominance of hairs under my chin would also support that theory.

My husband and I are currently not speaking because he's pissed off that our house was starting to resemble a slum and then I got pissed off at him for calling me on it. Since we are both stubborn and manly, neither of us is willing to be the first to break the silence. I will say, however, that the true seriousness of the slumly situation became evident when I picked up all the junk from around the dog's bed and the dust began to attack our pet. I'm not kidding. There were clumps of fuzzy debris all over. Roxie has short fur (resembling my chin after I've misplaced the tweezers for a week) so it was quite obvious. She started digging herself into her bed in hopes of shaking the allergens, but even more dust had taken refuge there, thus perpetuating a cycle that rivaled field dandelions blowing in the breeze. I rationalize it like this: dust is not so much a dirty thing as a messy one. Piles of clothes and other inactive compounds are not so much unclean as they are walking hazards. Just thought I'd mention that.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is to explain my absence from the momosphere this week. I was engaging in a cleaning mission that took all my powers of determination and productivity. I am at my best when I can focus wholly on one thing--which, as you can imagine, renders me pretty useless now that I am a mother. But I know my limitations. Isn't that half the battle? That's what I'd like to tell myself, but I know it's not true. Because I know a lot of things, and the fact remains that life is still one big skirmish that won't end till I'm dead.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carrcakes said...

I'm a self-described domestic failure but after reading your post realize womanly failure is more accurate on account that I have no breasts AND can't keep house.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Binky said...

A-cups, represent!

9:06 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

you make me laugh with "stubborn and manly" Hahahaha. We are the SAME way around here. It's a constant battle.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home