4.10.2006

All By Myself

I belong to this web ring of women called Crazy Hip Blog Mamas. And even though I'm much more crazy than hip, it's nice to be a part of a group. Which reminds me--I finally figured out the correct nomenclature for my blogging self. I am a mother blogger. Not a mom blogger and most certainly not a mommy blogger. A crazy mother blogger, if you will. I have no idea if this came to me on my own or if someone else planted a seed that I subconsciously gestated and that later popped out as my own brainchild. It seems like far too good of an idea not to have been thought of before. But, whatever the genesis, it's still accurate, and I'm running with it.

Anyway, CHBM offers these writing prompts for member bloggers to ponder, and this month's is "If I had an entire weekend to myself I would...

No. I will tell you what I would NOT do. I would not clean my freaking house, which is exactly what my husband railed against me for not doing a few weekends ago when the baby went to visit the grandparents, leaving my husband and I home alone.

His logic was this: "You are always complaining that you can't get any housecleaning done when the baby is around, so this is the perfect opportunity to make this place liveable."

I looked up at him from the couch where I sat, nursing a hangover (something, incidentally, that is related to what I WOULD do if I had an entire weekend to myself) and stared at him. I think I was speechless. Why, in the name of Jesus, God and Baby Jesus, would I spend my only solitudinal day in recent memory CLEANING THE HOUSE? How does that even make sense? And, moreover, why was working himself into a nagging fit of maternal proportions and lecturing me as if I WAS THE CRAZY ONE?

So here's what I would NOT do:

Laundry
Ironing
Vacuuming
Dusting
Bulk cooking in casserole form to stockpile for the coming week
Taxes
Scrapbooking
And, dare I say it, blogging

But here's what I WOULD do, and a lot of it:

Breast pumping

So, holding up a bottle full of the good stuff, I say, Cheers! Here's to Medela and a weekend alone.

12 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

I think I would go to the beach and drink margueritas to excess! Why clean?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

I'm just glad to hear you would not scrapbook. In my neck of the woods, that's as good as saying you'd clean your doublewide or take the pickup off the blocks and move it off of your front lawn.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Daddy D said...

all those things you listed on your "would not do" list are things my wife already doesn't do......does that mean she's always on vacation?

hmmmm.

I joke I joke....but no, seriously.

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- www.daddydetective.com

11:04 AM  
Blogger Wendy O'Donnell said...

good for you - i always hate that - like in my ONE SPARE MOMENT to myself, cleaning is ever going to top the list - NOT!

2:20 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

I don't know where men get the idea that it's the women's role to do all the housework! It's a shared role! Being a SAHM is a full time job you just don't get a paycheck every week signed by some big cheese you've never met!

But I would scrapbook if I had the day off! I love it!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

OK, I agree with everything but blogging...I would blog my heart out...

Why would ANYONE spend their time off working?

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Kvetch Blogger said...

Praise the Lord! Another CHBM who does not want to tidy up the toybox during a weekend to herself.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Antique Mommy said...

I wouldn't pump, scrap or dust, but I would blog, surf and snooze.

If hubs thinks housekeeping is so important, he's welcome to do it on his one day off.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Kristen said...

I like a clean house and so I would hire someone to do that on my weekend off. I don't have any breastmilk left so I'll clank my cup of soy milk with you.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Amen to this post! You are a great writer... I am enjoying this site!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I loved that! I don't blame you a bit. A weekend off housework sounds like a dream...

7:52 PM  
Blogger TLC said...

I wouldn't do those things, either. I wouldn't even stay home. Incidentally, I am pretty sure it is normal for the house to be wipeout for a full year after the baby is born. It gets better once they are older. Sort of.

My Hip Entry is up, too.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home