5.25.2006

Better Cut This One Short Or She Might Learn To Drive While I'm Not Looking

I'm the kind of mother who can, despite being of the so-called "stay at home" variety, miss most of her daughter's milestones. I was folding laundered bedsheets the time she first rolled over. When I stood and held out the queen sized cover like a curtain in front of me, Tolby was on her back. Several awkward tugs later, the sheet was a wrinkled semi-square in my hands as Tolby gazed at me from a prone position. Just yesterday I was at the computer with my back toward her when she sat herself up for the first time. I'm sure I'll walk in on her inaugural crib-stand some morning when I'm too exhausted and bleary-eyed to even contemplate getting the camera.

Still, the element of surprise is always there, regardless of whether or not you watch the newest first unfold. Maybe it's even more shocking to turn around and see your baby at a destination you have no idea how she reached than to watch her get there. They move fast, these little buggers. You won't always catch them.

You can only hope to contain 'em.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Jenny said...

don't feel bad. I think most moms miss the milestones. My daycare told me that they would NEVER tell me if my daughter said her first word there because her real first word is the first word she says in front of her mommy.

I love them.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Yeah all that matters is that we are there period. You knew when it happened. But I do know what you mean. I was really wanting to be there for her first step...and word. And I was, but we are semi-connected. Somedays that is great and somedays I'm like kid get off me, I need some space. So contrary am I.

Jenny~ that is the mark of a good daycare!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Oh and I missed the first rollover, too. I think that one's a sneaky little booger.

7:18 PM  
Blogger mama_tulip said...

I missed my firstborn's first steps. I heard about it over a cell phone. I pulled over and cried.

9:16 PM  
Anonymous motherhooduncensored said...

Yeah. Sometimes I wonder how much we do miss that they only do when we're not watching.

Sitting up? She's on her way!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

I think Tolby is a sneaky one. I can just see her working for weeks on her own to be able to do something really quickly before you can close the door on the fridge.

9:29 PM  
Blogger toyfoto said...

My theory is that babies are five times craftier that we can even imagine. I swear, mine watched me like a hawk and waited until I looked away or was otherwise occupied before she'd even attempt any firsts.

10:55 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Wait, those ARE the milestones. You don't remember staring at your baby and suddenly, poof, she rolls over...what you remember is how you were looking the other way, folding laundry when, poof, she rolled over. My mother's stories go the same way and I'm sure yours did as well. It's what makes them interesting!

1:06 AM  
Anonymous lildb said...

I tried to comment yesterday, but blogger.com shut me down. I think I said that I love blogging for the very reason that I feel validated at every turn - your experience with missing certain milestones is one I share, and I've been feeling mad guilt for it. I love your honesty, man. It's makes my heart happy.

Thank you.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous lildb said...

yes. It's makes mys hearts happys.

der. um, that is, ders.

5:59 PM  
Blogger PeetsMom said...

Hey there - this is my first stop by here and though I enjoyed the bachelor party post, I'm almost too old to remember my own! (am thinking naked men cards, penis pacifier...eew!)

Anyway, stop by and see what "firsts" you'll get in about 10 years!! Hang in there - these are precious times you are having!!

http://coffeeteasodapoppeets.blogspot.com/

1:02 AM  
Blogger PeetsMom said...

oops - my own BACHELORETTE party I meant!!!

1:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home