6.09.2006

Better Than Nothing, Maybe

I was in the car the other day when I heard a song that I am embarrassed to admit I love. As I cruised the backroads, I ruminated on my dorkdom and considered whether or not it was a bloggable offense. I decided some things were better left unwritten. Imagine my surprise when I came home to see I had been tagged for a meme asking me to list 13 songs for which I have a shameful fondness. I guess it was meant to be.

The song in question is Agnus Dei/Worthy by Third Day. Oh, God, this is humiliating. Pardon the pun, because Third Day is a Christian Rock band. I only know a single song by them and this is the one. If you are a fan of Third Day, I ask you not to be offended by the fact that I feel I need to apologize for digging their Jesus groove. I love it for the same reason I love the rock opera Jesus Christ Superstar and the book The Da Vinci Code (because it sure as hell isn't for the great writing). It's why I think it would be cool to own a life sized plaster rendering of JC that I can dress according to the latest in Cafepress.com fashion. It's all about accessibility. Tradition and faith are all well and good, but I'm here now. And I don't have shit for an attention span.

















That being said, I am hard pressed to come up with 12 more songs to satisfy the requirements of this meme for which I was tagged. I generally don't embarrass easily, which is probably a by-product of the fact that my mother saddled me with the name "Binky" before I had any say in the matter and, as if that wasn't bad enough, gave me many, many bad perms.
















Those who know me and my allegiance to one particularly bad musical duo might scoff at this, and suggest that it shouldn't be hard to find 12 songs in the Insane Clown Posse canon that any self respecting mother would be embarrassed even to know about. They may bring up, for the sake of discussion, tracks like "I Stab People," "Bugz on My Nugz," "Fat Sweaty Betty," or the holiday favorite, "Santa's a Fat Bitch." But I'm not ashamed. I've been a Juggalette for almost ten years now (holy crap!) and have rolled in the mud at three of the communal love fests that are their yearly days-long gatherings. I love ICP the way good ol' boys love wrasslin'. I love it the way American hausfrau love soap operas. There is just something about being down with the clown til you're dead in the ground that gives you something to live for.

Pictured above: Wicked Clowns, me and my bro

10 Comments:

Anonymous Motherhood Uncensored said...

I am still laughing my ass off over ICP.

HILARIOUS. Of course you love them. That is perfect.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous mamatulip said...

Now this is funny shit. ICP. Are they still putting out music?

(My mom gave me bad perms too. One, in particular, was when I was five years old; I'd given in to her begging and hated her for years because it made me look like Shirley Temple.)

8:30 AM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

I would pay cash money to see a Jesus mannequin wearing that tee shirt.

Nate meanwhile has a new ring tone: Ceeeelebrate Jesus Celebrate. The one from those awful infomercials. He's being ironic but I fear our neighbors don't get the joke.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Jene said...

i'm still not clear on this meme thing, but that's probably because no one really reads my blog (except for my dad, which somewhat limits the content - luckily i don't think he knows how to read the comments).

I did a quick check on my Ipod to see what artists came up. We've got: Cyndi Lauper, Indigo Girls, Lords of Acid, the Minstrels of Mayhem (RenFest music, ha!), lots of Sheryl Crow, and of course almost every Eminem song that exists. And I'm not ashamed of any of it. :)

9:11 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

How does a nice, Connecticut girl like yourself even know who ICP is? And the picture? Spooky. In a good way.

I like you more every day.

10:12 PM  
Blogger lildb said...

I love that you have flown your sick-freak flag. It just makes you that much more endearing.

(and it makes me feel less unnerved about some of the more, erm, distasteful things I've revealed to you. I appreciate it.)

12:30 AM  
Blogger one smarmy mama said...

ok wait......are you in ICP make up on your WEDDING DAY!!????

4:33 PM  
Blogger Binky said...

It's not as bad as it looks--I actually had those photos taken about a week before the wedding. My husband didn't know about it, so it was a total surprise when I gave him an 8 x 10 of me in my wedding gown with clown makeup (a different pic than the one posted here) during the limo ride to the reception after our ceremony :)

4:45 PM  
Blogger J said...

LOVE the pic, thanks. :)

Love the song, just the fact of it, and that you said that DaVinci Code wasn't well written...I just could NOT get into that book

6:38 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oooh that's like Jars of Clay... another Christian rock band that I shamefully happen to love. Nice shot of you and your bro--oh the sibbling bonding. :)

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home