6.29.2006

Where I'm From

Found this writing exercise via Buffy. You should try it sometime.


I am from Cookie Monster sweatshirts, shrugged on past bedtime. I'm from Dairy Queen and a station wagon.

I am from the chain-linked smell of gasoline and grass clippings. I am from dandelion seeds, yellow weeds and petals of "he loves me not." I'm from lilacs for mom on the kitchen table.

I am from Marlboro Reds by the carton, by the day; I'm from them living while I sleep.

I'm from Faith, Hope and Wisdom, Russian sisters in translation. I'm from pampered grudges with skin soft from attention. I'm from funereal reunions.

I'm from shhhhhh and daddy's sleeping.

I'm from crimson carpets and Sabbath inattention. I'm from kneeling in a straight line.

I'm from the USA. Hot dogs and pierogies.

I'm from the #6 Combination Platter at Hong Kong Kitchen, from tiny fingers on a teacup with no handle, and an empty space in the booth.

I am from Great Aunt Sonia's head, where all our cramped secrets will die because nobody wants them.

10 Comments:

Blogger mommygoingcrazy said...

That is so dang cool! I am going to have to try it.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

Beautiful!

4:14 PM  
Blogger lynsalyns said...

I'm gonna steal this one later today, if I have five minutes on my own!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I am from eating a whole bag of Funyuns at a sitting and then stanking of onions for three days as my pores revolt.

Iw, that is gross.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chicky said...

This was a great exercise! I'm looking forward to doing this myself sometime soon.

Although, something tells me I won't paint as enticing a picture as you.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

I love love love the line that the USA is hot dogs and pierogies. Too many people forget this.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous mamatulip said...

So cool. You had me at "shrugged on past bedtime."

6:41 PM  
Blogger Jene said...

this totally resonates with me:
"I am from Great Aunt Sonia's head, where all our cramped secrets will die because nobody wants them."

it makes me think of all the information that is gone now that my grandma died, and how she always wanted to talk about her family's history and no one really listened.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the link to your blog through Mommygoingcrazy's blog today, and wanted to thank you for the "Where I'm From" prompt. It led me to some amazing memories that I hope to include in a scrapbook layout about myself one of these days. Thanks so much!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
» »

12:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home