7.12.2006

Happy Anniversary to Me

There were 318 turns in 11 miles on the Tail of the Dragon as my husband and I hugged the tightest curves and blew through the gentler ones in a 30 minute drive that seemed more like five. Chris’s only regret was that steering problems in his ’83 Porsche 944 forced him into the driver’s seat of my automatic sedan as we sliced through the mangled souls of motorcyclists hanging over the Smoky Mountain pass. Me, I felt no such nostalgia for German engineering as the skin of my preoccupied fingers stretched tight over the Oh, Shit bar. I leaned in and out of each curve in hopeful defiance of centrifugal force.

On this trip to Tennessee in celebration of our second anniversary, I realized our marriage is like the path dug out by the dragon’s tail. It’s all twists, slow rises and views that fall steep. At its most harrowing, I wonder why we do it. Other times, I’m just glad to be along for the ride. Then there are the moments when exhilaration defies danger and I know, however briefly, that this is what it’s all about.

We talked later that night about what we could do to make our third year better than the last. Chris suggested that I not get pregnant. But because leaving it at that would put all our happiness in my hands, he wisely volunteered to find a job that pays more. I nodded over my glass of Chardonnay.

“What now?” I took a sip.

“I think we should go back to the hotel. I gotta drop a deuce.”

I took a gulp.

As they say in the Smokies: If that don’t light your fire, your wood’s wet.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Motherhood Uncensored said...

Ha. My husband says the same thing. :)

And Happy Anniversary.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Jene said...

chris is going to find a new job in ft. lauderdale? that's an AWESOME idea! lol. :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thems fine romantical words. The comfort of marriage. I hope yours doesn't "drop a deuce" with the door open. That's just cruel and unusual punishment.

9:59 AM  
Blogger toyfoto said...

Mine prefers to "see a man about a wallaby." ... or sometimes he's "got to drop the kids off at the pool." In either event, he usually leaves, waving his hands in the air in front of his face, and announces ... "that'll be 25 - 35 minutes ..."

Happy Anniversary to YOU.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Whirlwind said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope Chris has good luck with the job search.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

True romance! AH!

1:46 PM  
Blogger lynsalyns said...

Love is, at its core, a little messy, isn't it? Happy anniversary. I hope the curves in your road ride a little smoother this year.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

I love that you discuss what you can do better. I have friends who spend every anniversary instead of being gushy, saying "what's wrong? how do we fix it?" To me, those are the couples in it for the long haul, ups and downs be damned. Happy happy.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Jenny said...

Ok, how on earth are you going to keep from getting pregnant with him saying such hot, romantic things?

8:44 PM  
Blogger jennster said...

awww happy anniversary!

9:29 PM  
Blogger lildb said...

damn. that man knows from sexy, huh.

*wink*

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home